Slide 1

B.W. Howe & Son, the parent business of Thorpe Farming, established trading in 1954 at Sheffield Park Farm in Sussex.  This was a 150ha mixed farm with Pedigree Shorthorn dairy cows and mixed combinable crops. 

In 1983 Chelwood Farm was bought and the dairy unit was moved there to allow for continued herd expansion.  This culminated in having 200 milking cows and associated followers and the top Dairy Shorthorn PIN herd in the country.

In 2002 William Howe completed a BSc (Hons) Degree in Agriculture at The University of Reading, gaining a 2:1. He also received the Royal Agricultural Society of England Agricultural Student of the Year 2002 award.
 
In 2004, the Partners of the business, when offered the opportunity to surrender the tenancy of the Home Farm, took the decision to cease milk production due to the low milk price and the prohibitive cost of infrastructure modernisation, and relocate the business.  It was then in 2005 that B.W. Howe & Son bought Ewerby Thorpe Farm in Lincolnshire, a 365ha all arable farm. Since then the farm has seen a healthy reinvestment programme which has seen both the land drainage schemes and the grain storage and handling facilities thoroughly modernised.

The farmed area has also increased by 200ha since 2009, with the addition of Park Farm, South Kyme and Vine Farm at Heckington Fen.

Thorpe Farming now establishes 525ha of oilseed rape on our own farm and for contract customers using a bespoke designed TWB Subsoiler whilst applying liquid fertiliser, as well as cereal establishment and a full harvesting operation utilising the latest is CLAAS harvesting technology.